Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Baby mindset


It's crazy what having a baby (or two!) in your home makes you immune to. As soon as your baby turns to a toddler you re-join the rest of the world and realize that certain things are infact odd behavior and not to be considered 'normal' or 'no big deal'. But somehow every time I've found myself in the infant stage, I quickly fall back into the mindset that allows me to process things like this:

Not only is picking boogers out of my kid's nose not gross, it's actually somewhat rewarding and addicting. Slimy, crusty, clear or green - makes no difference, get that sucker outta there!

Spit up from other people's children, is pretty gross and smells accordingly. Spit up from my child however can be caught in my hand, rubbed into my shirt, and dried in my hair so that unbeknown to me, a chunk of it is that lovely crunchy texture of fountain style bangs from the 80's.

When changing my baby's diaper, wipes are simply an extension of my hand. If poop gets all over my hands and fingers, who cares? It's not like it's REAL poop and I'll wash my hands in a second...when I get around to it.

And finally, (Warning: I am assuming 99.9% of readers are women, if not, sorry men!) boobs become something treated with the same level of modesty and discretion as; oh I don't know, a utensil. Why would anyone be weirded out when I mention they are 'leaking', or when I randomly grab and push at them to evaluate 'fullness', or by my constant references to 'pumping' them. Totally normal right?

Ah, motherhood.

3 comments:

The McCarty's said...

So reading that made me a bit squeamish but i agree on every point! It's a different world.

angela said...

YES! This is motherhood! :) Hope that breastpump is working out okay for you. Will we see you next session at MOPS?

liza mae said...

this post was too funny. I became a mommy two months ago and especially thought the boob grab to see which one was fuller was LOL. Your non graphic video of the twins totally made me cry...it was sooo beautiful.