Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Soccer Chick

No one ever told me that 4 was the magical age in which your kids jump head first into the world of extra curricular activities. I guess it's kind of silly to comment on because as the mother I really have complete control of it, so why am I surprised? But even though I'm the one who did all the signing up, somehow it still seemed to shock me just how quickly we've found ourselves in this world of traveling from 'lesson' to 'lesson', 'class' to 'class'.

To be clear, I am NOT complaining. I actually LOVE exposing Macy to all these different facets of activity, exercise, social interaction and skill development. It's so fun to watch her world expand, see her awareness of so many different things grow, her enjoyment multiply and her confidence blossom. And we are so lucky to have such supportive grandparents that make so much of it happen.

This year for Birthday and Christmas presents both sets of parents got Macy lessons in different things and the 'necessities' to go with them. So this Spring Macy has been doing Ballet & Tap (pics of her recital to come in July - big time people BIG time!) as well as a Soccer course and we'll probably do a T-ball mini course in the summer too. I am soo thrilled to be able to give her the opportunity to really try these mini classes in so many different areas, so that I can watch and she can see for herself what things she truly enjoys and has a knack for. Then we can calm things down and let her enjoy one or two on a more committed basis as she grows up. I really want to give my kids a chance to develop into whatever areas they truly show an interest in instead of just plopping them in the activities I did as a kid. It's so hard to not just assume your child will love and be good at the same things as you, so hard to not want to push them in that direction! This has felt like a fun way to give quite a few things a fair shot at stealing her heart :)

SO.. here's some pictures of Macy's first soccer experience.





Oh, did I mention that she gets to take it with her BFF from preschool, Olivia? Yep, talk about fun! The girls are really hilarious together.


They literally do this every time the coach lines them up, seriously, they stand there and hold hands until made to let go!

Admiring their jerseys, although they weren't too happy when they found out the different colors meant they had to be on different teams!

We've only had a few weeks of classes with a few more to go, but I will say the outlook for Soccer getting to be a repeat on our list of sports we try out is looking pretty grim. When asked if she had fun at her most recent practice, Macy thoughtfully replied...

"Well, a little bit of fun. I mean I like soccer and I love Olivia, but I don't like how much work it is. You have to run alot. I think I like Ballet."

Hmmm.

I may not get to coach that girl's softball team I've always dreamed about after all! :)

5 comments:

McKenna Genna said...

Yeah! A girl after her auntie's heart! she's the best!

lorieloo said...

oh she sounds like me. now if I can just keep my kids from liking soccar=)

Turner Family said...

she may not have mad skills yet but she looks like a star! i love the light pink adidas pants. :) i can't believe how grown up she is. so fun.

bandofbrothers said...

oh the holding hands is SOOOOO cute!

Brent and Julie said...

I was going over in my mind what to do when Gracie is older. I couldn't decide if I wanted to do the sports route or dance. I like how you are introducing her to it all and then letting her decide. Good idea!